Tuesday, October 17, 2006

MY APOLOGY

I heard from a fellow who was quite upset about my use of the term "chemo-lawn" in my letter to the newspaper about the buffers on the Riddle farm (reproduced in the previous post "Naive No More"). Evidently he’s in the lawn business, and as best I could understand, he thought I implied that there was something wrong with chemo-lawns. He demanded a public apology. So here goes:

I apologize. I promise never to write chemo-lawn again. I will not write it in capitals, like this: CHEMO-LAWN, nor in italics: chemo-lawn, nor in bold: chemo-lawn. I will try to not even think chemo-lawn, and I’ll tell everyone I know to forget the term chemo-lawn. Y'all got that? Forget CHEMO-LAWN.

But there’s a problem. I was only using a quicky term instead of "lawns consisting exclusively of turf grasses that are nourished by chemical fertilizers and cleared of insects and other living things by means of herbicide/pesticide application." I don’t want to type that all the time, so what to do?

How about (blank)-lawn? I could say: "Only a (blank) would live in a house surrounded by a (blank)-lawn." Does this work? After all, (blank) can mean anything, right?

I think I’ll go with this. So to my pal in the lawn biz, let me say that continued exposure to your (blank)-lawns could turn you into a (blankety-blank) and may even make your (blank) shrivel up and drop off.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Like you, I don't like to spell out
long phrases. so I will refer to my
Centrex Lawn as CXL.As you well know,
the Riddle Farm was a horse pasture
and Centrex has reinforsed that feeling in this project with rich
luxurient lawns. What better way to
honor the past. I love my CXL. my
CXL is always green and gorgeous.
When I walk on my CXL no bugs crawl
up my leg. My CXL is tough, I can park my Hummer on it and do no damage.
The Hummer looks really cool sitting
on my CXL, with the bullet hole decals on the side. Chicks love it.
I would like to see your lawn, or
whatever you call it, in August.
The great Moving Finger in the sky
sees your arrogance and strikes
you from the rolls of the rightious.
Which means, among a long list of
other horrors, that you will be
condemed to roll a large stone across your "so called" lawn for
eternity while mosquitos and flys
and ants devour your liver.
lots of luck pal.

6:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey anonymous, where did you get your lobotomy? Back in Lancaster County?

11:33 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home